Thursday, April 24, 2025

Gab Elementary Graduation

 It's been 10 days since my son walked the stage and put a cap on his elementary years. Why do I not feel grand about it? I did not do anything remarkably special on the day, just what is expected. In my head, I thought, this is just one of those days. It's going to happen again in a couple of years, and a couple of years after that. Almost everybody graduates, right? I did not get him a nice gift. I bought him a phone though-- because he is going to be in high school, and the kid would need a phone. We did not have a special dinner. I did not even get him cake. Lolo gave a bit of money to buy a sort of special dinner, then we ate, and then everyone went ahead to do their own thing.  The day before, he was focused enough to remind me that his toga and uniform needs to be ironed and that they would need a corsage, and 2 garlands. Maybe he is excited, he never really shows interest in school, or he never really tells me about it. But on that day, he made it a point to tell me without me having to ask him. The night before, he tells me I need to wake him up early, as early as that time of the National Achievement Test and when I did wake him up early, he was hurrying me because he says he can't be late. ''6:45, we have to be there at 6:45'', he says. We were one of the few ones that arrived that early and the ceremony ended up starting at 8:30. He did not say much to his classmates, but he was surrounded by a few of the boys as they watched him play a game on his new phone. They were nice to him and they would talk to me and tell me what he's like in class. When the teacher made them stand in line to get ready for the procession, he kept gesturing to me, telling me that I need to be next to him and that I have to prepare the garlands, like he knows what he's doing and I don't. He did not tell me that when we reach the stage with the other graduates and parents, that they would place the garland over their parents' necks and give them a hug. He did not tell me that he had all the songs memorized and he expressively sings them so well, I could see it in his face. He graduated with an award, he did not tell me that. Best in Mathematics. I am never known for my math talents-- never had any, but he is best in math. In the end, he was in a hurry to get back home, and while so many other parents were busy taking photos, we did not get to take a single one. Is playing it cool like this a sign that he is not so little anymore? A part of me does not want to embarrass him, and he never really shows interest in school. But maybe, just maybe... his little Best in Math medal means he shows up more than he cares to admit. And maybe, I'm just a mom a little bit unwilling to accept that time isn't gonna slow down. Gosh, parenthood. It's a really crazy thing, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shadow Work

 1.1 Inner Child What pains from my childhood shaped who I am now? my father wanted to support my talents, but he was irresponsible. my moth...